Windows 7 Operating System is developed with some great features. In Windows 7, features are redesigned in compare to its previous Operating System. A very secure User Account Control system is launched to make it less intrusive. But while user try to run Windows updates then there prompts a message that Windows can’t check for updates Windows 7 because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer. Windows identifies that something is not going to work properly and pops up this error message.
Some of the common symptoms are stated here for identifying this particular error:
• A message “Windows can’t check for updates Windows 7 because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer” is displayed on the screen.
• Sometimes it also displays that the updating god failed.
• The internet connection doesn’t work properly.
• As per your schedule the updates don’t install automatically.
Cause of the error –
The most genuine cause for this issue emerges as a problem in internet connectivity. There might be some conflicts in the internet connection.
There are other reasons also responsible for this error:
• There may be some problem in the Windows installer.
• Incorrect registry setting is also is a reason for this error.
• Incompatible version of Windows update installer could be a cause.
• There could be a corruption in Windows update database.
• Some intruder like virus or malware may attack the while trying to install Windows update.
In order to get updates again, user should go through following manual setting by which he can overcome this problem:
1. Temporarily close the Windows update.
2. Then go to the address c:\windows\softwaredistribution\datastore\logs\
3. Then find there the file edb.log
4. Delete this particular file. You can rename this file too.
5. When the file is renamed or deleted then open the Windows update service.
6. Now run the Windows update again. It will work normally now.
So far, this is a manual method and it definitely works and user will not face the prompting of message “Windows can’t check for updates windows 7 because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer.” But if this doesn’t work at all then user can also use Advanced System Repair tool to get rid of this error. This will remove the errors automatically and user doesn’t get any problem to work with it. It also helps to enhance the Windows and feel you very comfortable while using the Windows updates.